None loves towing business; that is a fact. Who wants to be the victim of a broken down
vehicle on the road. However, accidents happen and they are more common than you may think. You may have a dead battery, flat tire, or an accident. That is why
you need to be ready if you never got your vehicle towed before. Finding out that you need to take your vehicle to a mechanic to be diagnosed and fixed is already a hard thing. You need to make sure that your vehicle will not have problems while being moved from the location of the problem to the mechanic. Towing may be kind of overwhelming if you never experienced it before. That is why we wrote these tips for people to avoid first time towing process mistakes.
• Stay As Safe As Possible:
Once your vehicle breaks down, consider the following points in order.
- Secure your safety. If you can, try to move your vehicle from the road away from the other vehicles. If you can’t, ask for help. Everyone should stay in the vehicle. Also, turn the hazard lights on.
- If it is impossible to move the vehicle, it is essential to turn the hazard lights on to make your car visible to the other cars on the road. If the hazard lights don’t
work, try to set flares around your vehicle. Try to stay as secure as possible.
- After securing your location, stay in the car and lock its doors especially if you’re alone. When someone approaches, speak to him/her through a partially opened window.
• Prepare All the Paperwork That Might Be Needed:
Once you make sure that everything is secured, you should start thinking about what are you going to do. If you’re well-prepared, this whole process might take a
- The first thing you should start thinking of is your insurance. Many insurance companies already deal with roadside assistance companies. Nowadays, it is even
much easier. You can check all the information you need on the website of your
insurance company or app. Make sure to check this information before going on the road; they may save you a lot of time and money.
- If this information isn’t available, it is time to make copies of all the paperwork you have and leave copies in your vehicle. Make sure you have the customer service number and that they are available 24/7.
- Make a call and ask if you have coverage for towing services and roadside assistance.
- If you don’t have coverage for towing services, ask your insurance companies for recommendations about the best towing-maintenance companies they work with. This saves you a lot of time and effort in trying to explain what happened. The cooperation between the towing company and your insurance will speed up everything. Make sure to read our second part of how to get ready for your first towing tips and drive safely.